17 March 2014

Back to the Trails

Since ending up with a DNS at the John Dick 50k, I think this winter got the best of me.  I haven't run much since then.  While I was pretty tough, in terms of getting out and getting the miles in, during January...February was pretty horrible.

In the place of trail running was basketball.  It's another one of my passions, although I find myself putting way too much pressure on myself to perform to my expectations.  I think this affects my play.  Losses hang with me a bit, definitely longer than they should.  Still, a hug from Edwin or Estelle makes that all disappear pretty quickly.

Last week my team lost in the B-Division Championship game of City League.  I played terrible.  8 points... 0-3 from the free throw line, 0-2 from Three.  Ugh.  Still...as soon as the game was over, Edwin came running over to me, gave me a hug, and asked me to lift him up so he could shoot a shot.  He went 1-2 from my shoulders, as I stood on a bench and he shot at the side hoop in the gym.  Words can't explain how much I love him and Estelle (who has a tendency to go running on to the court during live action).

So, from here, I've got about 2 months to get ready for Ice Age.  I'm really sad to hear "smirk" won't be running, and I'll be thinking about her and hoping she's back soon! Get well and keep the hope!  God has a plan.

2 months...I can do this.  I can run right around 4 hours if I stick to a plan.  I've got a decent base of athleticism and a deep knowledge of how to run trail 50k's.  Let's do this.  The other thing...unlike in basketball, where there are many variables, all there is to running is a start line and a finish line.  How long it takes in between is completely up to me.

As motivation, here are two pictures of me with 2nd place trophies.  One, from last week's game in City League (Nigh Roofing), and the other from an "Over 35 Tournament" -- NO I'M NOT 35 :), but each team (which is organized by local churches among their members) gets three guys on their roster who are 30-35, with the rest of the roster needing to be Over 35 y.o.a....  So you get three 'young' guys on your team.  We made it to the championship game...and took second.




1 comment:

nikki said...

i appreciate the kind words. i'm going to be volunteering tho' so say hi if you see me! me and my 12 year old will be directing people somewhere at some point i'm not real sure as i'm bad at paying close attention to all the details all of the time. also, i've nominated you for a blog award that i was also nominated for and yes i feel weird about it too. you can view the details here: http://ohrunning.blogspot.com/2014/04/liebster-blog-award-nominee-and.html