03 June 2021

Sinawa 6 Hour

 

Escape to Camp Sinawa!

That’s what I did on May 15th, at the first annual Camp Sinawa 6 Hour.  There were trail running events on Saturday and mountain biking on Sunday, and it was a great weekend!  Jason Schneider and his family of St. Nazianz has spearheaded a trail building effort in the land to the west of Camp Sinawa Road, and the efforts have resulted in some amazing single track trails that have a mix of soft pine needles, rugged rocks and roots, and plenty of elevation change. 

I participated in the 6 Hour run and had a great time…for the most part.  Doing anything for 6 hours is probably going to cause some low moments, and for me those came on the 2nd last of the 7 loops I completed.  I wanted to be ‘done.’  I ended up finishing the loop with about 70 minutes left in the event.

And I didn’t sign up for the “Sinawa 5 Hours and 50 Minutes”.  So, out I went for one more of the 5 mile loops.  My pace was the slowest on the 7th loop but that also allowed me to really take in the nature of the trails.  Oddly enough, I noticed parts of the woods that I hadn’t noticed in the previous loops, and the slower pace seemed to help my stomach and my legs recover a bit. 

I finished the 7th loop with 9 minutes left in the event, and at that point, when asked if I wanted to run another mile, the answer was an immediate ‘Nope!’, and I sat down.

I highly encourage you to wander around a bit out at Camp Sinawa sometime soon!  The trail system will continue to grow, and the things you will notice out there throughout the seasons will grow as well.

No comments: