30 June 2022

Kettle 50k - 5:25 8th

 Having run the Kettle Moraine 50k 4 times previously (In 2016, '17, '18, and '21), I was aware of the format of the event and familiar with what I was getting in to this year.  In those first 3 years, I actually managed to win the race twice and finish second in 2017.  Last year I also finished second, despite the fact it was a rough event for me, and I wasn't happy with how I ran overall.

This year was another lesson and opportunity to learn.  Now, as I write that, it becomes apparent to me that all of these long distant runs I do are 'opportunities to learn.'  Maybe that's why I continue to do them despite telling myself 'never again' as I'm running them.  

I finished the 2022 Kettle 50k in 5:26 and in 8th overall.  The weather this year was incredibly kind, considering past years at this event.  It was overcast with a nice breeze and temperatures in the 70's.  Most long distance runs I do start early in the morning, but this race starts at 1:00 pm and is a point-to-point run along the Ice Age Trail of the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest.  It's a really pretty course, and despite the fact I have said repeatedly that I will NOT do this one again--5 times is enough!--I'm quite certain I'll be signing up again for the 2023 version.

Because of those winning runs I've previously had, perhaps I'm in denial that I have aged a bit since 2016.  I often joke that my kids keep getting older, but I am not.  That's possible, right?  ;)

I had trained pretty darn well for this run and was confident in my preparation.  While I didn't have a 'crew' along for this one, I had drop bags set up and was ready for a good run.  My goal was to break 5 hours. 

That's not what my mind and body had in store for me.  Perhaps I'm just a bit slower...perhaps it just wasn't my day.  I still finished up and looking back, I don't regret for a minute taking on the challenge.  Maybe next time I bring some people with me to help out a bit...but no matter what the 'next time' is, I'm confident I'll show up and I'll learn something along the way.







No comments: