13 October 2020

Glacial Trail 50k

 
Well, it had been a while. I haven’t had what I would consider a ‘successful” trail run in quite a while.
You may recall back in August, I wrote a column about my attempt at running a 100 Kilometers at Road America. The run did not go well.  Several factors culminated in my decision to quit the run much earlier than planned.  Earlier this summer I also attempted a trail run in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest, and stopped early due to it being hot and me just not being in the right mindset to finish.
Over the last 15 years, I have really enjoyed taking part in trail events, but this year has been difficult. Almost all events have been cancelled or moved to become “virtual events” or something along those lines. My favorite all-time event is the Glacial Trail Run, which starts and ends in Greenbush and runs along the Old Wade House Trail, before joining the Ice Age Trail. There are 50 km and 50 mile distances, and this would be my 8th time running at the event. The weather and peak fall colors could not have set up a better venue for the event.  Unfortunately, due to COVID limitations and permit restrictions, the only people there were the runners and the volunteers. It was definitely an odd environment but one which made me adapt my plan for the run.  I carried all of the nutrition I would need in a backpack and started off at 7 a.m. last Sunday. In training for this event, I had put in several long runs varying from 23 miles all the way up to 31 miles. Today was a 50 km, or 31 mile run. I felt pretty strong and had a decent nutrition plan, and with the exception of the last two or three miles, where I was super tired, I felt good all day. In addition to that, I managed to win the event!

That had always been a goal of mine – to win my “home event” at the Glacial Trail Run. I had previously won the 50 mile event but had always wanted to win the 50k as well.  Upon finishing, I felt such relief and gratitude that the event was held and then I was able to complete it in 4 hours and 19 minutes.  


I did a decent job of pacing myself through the first 7 miles, arriving at Hwy 67 in 56 minutes (I was hoping for 55 minutes) and in second place.  1st place ran right through the aid station, as did I.

Hwy 67 to Butler was 51 minutes and I was still feeling good.  I ran to the turnaround in 16 minutes, and on the way there saw several 50 milers and was able to share some encouraging words.

On the way back I caught the leader, who I had been told "was dying up there...go get him!", at about Mile 17.  I offered salt/sugar/water, and kept going.  From there I cruised, trying to maintain an honest pace, and finished in 4:19:09.  11 minute victory.  Huge congrats to Andrew M. in second who ran a GIANT negative split to come home second!

Damn I love that race.  Love that trail, and LOVE when things FEEL GOOD.  I just love to FEEL something, and that FELT great.  

Solid long run training, with LONG runs of 33, 26, 31, and 24...THAT helped big time.

A photo from trail work the previous day with my daughters and Tony & Erin






 



No comments: