09 September 2007

Inspired by the "Endorphiend" one...

One interesting thing about running is the blogging journalling community that exists in the distance running world. I explained it to my father-in-law, a huge "car guy," this way: It's like being able to read someone else's step-by-step renovations of a '66 Chevy Malibu when you're actually renovation the same car.

You also get a chance to see different training approaches that you can incorporate into your schedule. Case in point, I read Doug's blog journal recently in which he completed Yasso 800's. These are 10 800 meter repeats, run at a pace that indicates what kind of goal time you can aim for in the marathon. For instance, I ran my 10 repeats at a 3:00 minute pace because I'm hoping to run a 3:10 marathon. They are pretty controversial, as Doug points out, but it's also a heck of a workout either way! My splits:

2:57
2:57
2:58
2:59
2:59
3:00
3:02 (crap!)
2:58
2:58
2:59

I specifically remember the 7th repeat feeling like I have at about mile 21 or 22 of the marathon. Things are starting to fall apart a bit, but you're not close enough to the finish to get by on guts and adrenaline. I finished strong, however, and felt great afterwards.

Before doing the Yasso's I did a combination elliptical and treadmill workout, focusing primarily on my HR. When on the treadmill I ran at a 7:03 pace and found my HR to sit in the mid to high 150's. Because I didn't want to beat up my feet and calves too much, I rotated into the elliptical for about 2/3 of the workout time. I did this for a tottal of and hour and a half immediately before heading to the track. My avg HR? 151, with a max of 164. Getting to the treadmill and elliptical in the high school basement was a story in itself, but lets just say it's nice to be living back in a small hometown!

1 comment:

Tri+Umph said...

Nice job on the repeats! Isn't it such a confidence booster to see all your hard training show like that?

It sounds like you're right on track to get your BQ at Chicago! Best of luck to you!