25 September 2008

Mid Week Rundown

After last week's great run at the Fox Cities Marathon, I was really excited to keep the momentum going as I build to Milwaukee in 2 weeks and the Fall 50 in about a month. That excitement has transported me to the precipice of overtraining and injury. I'm feeling aches in a couple spots in my legs at the moment, but these aren't the muscular aches of a job well done and a sense of accomplishment. These aches are my body telling me to watch it...

On Monday I felt as fresh as I've ever felt after a marathon and ran 3 trail miles with Parsenn at "Parsenn Pace." On this particular run that happened to be more like a fartlek, as the trail was filled with rabbits that he'd sprint after and chase into the weeds. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Tuesday was a grinder at work and I couldn't wait to get out and run. Fast. I ran 10 miles, with the middle 9.3 on a 5K course and just missed a 15K (9.3 miles) PR by running 1:02:33. A 6:41 pace two days after a marathon?! Not bad!

Wednesday was again an easy 3 miles at Parsenn Pace on the trails. No matter how the Fall 50 turns out, I definitely see a trail ultra in my future--it was bliss to be out there.

Today I ran 15 miles and my body was really telling me to pull back again by the end of the run. This run was a mix of Ice Age Trail (which was probably stupid considering my propensity for ankle rolling on that trail) and country roads. I probably ran about a 7:30-8:30 pace, and that was probably too fast. By the end my right popliteus muscle (back of the knee) was not happy, and neither was the ball of my left foot.

Looking ahead, I'm hoping to run well at Milwaukee and make that my last real hard training run. However, as I mentioned, I can feel myself walking (or running, I guess) a fine line at the moment between peak training miles and injury-inducing miles.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Grellan said...

Congratulations on a great race at Fox Cities. Maybe you've hit on the best way to run a marathon - it certainly sounds like you had a great time and didn't suffer too much at the end. getting a sub-3:20 on a training marathon and running 10 miles @ 6:41 pace the week after is fantastic and shows what great shape you're in.

Just be carefull with the (over) training as your target is still a month away

Jess said...

Wow, that is an incredible 15K!

Aron said...

another amazing week!!! hope you stay on the good side of the line.

chia said...

Great runs :-). I envy your "in-shaped-hood" :-)!!!