23 August 2007

I was tired of post-it notes...

and other poorly contrived ideas for keeping track of my training and other trips, so here I am...with a blog. Truthfully, I'm not really a big fan of the word "blog." Hence, in my subtitle, I refer to this website as a journal. I am hoping to not use the word "blog" again. It just sounds dumb, in my opinion. Anyway...
I'm a chiropractor in Plymouth, WI, and I've been active my whole life. I started running marathons about 4 years ago when my older sister decided we should run one together. So we signed up for Chicago in 2004 and finished in about 5:15. Upon finishing, I knew two things. 1: I was doing this again. 2: I wanted to do it a lot faster.
I am now training for my 8th and 9th marathons this fall. In exactly one month (September 23, 2007), I'm going to take part in the Quad Cities Marathon, and then on October 7th I will be running the Chicago Marathon for the 4th straight year. This year is different, though. All summer I have followed a pretty strict running schedule, have tried to eat better (read: less beer), and have seen some amazing improvements in my speed.
I run in honor of a good friend of mine, Brock Hansen, who has a genetic disorder known as Neurofibromatosis Type 2. You can just call it NF2. I am trying to raise money for the Children's Tumor Foundation, which researches a cure for NF2. I'm sure there will be more on that later. As for now, I think this will suffice for my first entry into my new...journal.
See, you probably were expecting me to use that word that we shall not speak of... :)

No comments: